47 views MAMA LORETHA AND LIKOTUDEN VILLAGE – KEHATI KEHATI

MAMA LORETHA AND LIKOTUDEN VILLAGE

  • Date:
    30 Apr 2020
  • Author:
    KEHATI

Likotuden Village is known as a sorghum village and becomes a sorghum research center in Flores Island that has a production house facility with a lot of sorghum machinery, such as thresher, cutter, juicer, and packer. The people started to use sorghum as their staple food, including introducing sorghum to toddlers as their additional nutrition source through the public health center. Sorghum farmers in Lukotuden agreed to consume 40% of their own sorghum and sell the remaining 60%.

 

The success of this sorghum program is because of the works from YASPENSEL as Yayasan KEHATI’s local partner. One of their champions is Maria Loretha who is known as Mama Sorghum. Because of her hard works on promoting sorghum as Flores local food, Maria Loretha got many awards, such as KEHATI award, Kartini Award, Ashoka Award, She Can! Award, and many more